Thursday, November 24, 2005

Gratitude and Hope

"Lack of gratitude is despair."

This message is from a marqee along my morning route, and despite its ringing true, it took me a while to figure out why.

No matter how much we have, without acknowledging its origin, without appreciating its gratuitousness, we cannot hope. Everyone knows deep down that we don't ultimately control our own lives. If what we have is not given by Someone and we can only depend on our own slender efforts, then ultimately there is no guarantee that future events will work to our good.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm sure I've told you this before, but it bears repeating: your entry on Hope was incredible. So much so that a friend and I both printed it out and read it regularly ~ she put it up in her house and I carry mine with me in my breviary. Keep the Hope alive!

Lawrence Gage said...

It is squeezing that extracts the sweet nectar.

I'm pleased to know that my reflections benefit people beyond myself. Thank you very much, Mikaela.

MJ